Saturday, October 11, 2014

thanks

jessica
hi,

i gotta say you're the first person that's bought something since i put the site back up last september. selling cds isn't easy nowadays, so it's breaking through a bit of a glass ceiling for me. thanks for your support.

as this is the first thing i'm shipping, 3 days might be more like 5 days. i need to get the proper supplies. i have done this before, it's just been a few years; rest assured that it will be shipping shortly.

primatemaster
Hello,

I'm simultaneously delighted (if I had business cards I'd be writing 'Patron of the Arts' on them right now) and a little disappointed to be first. It's the first CD I've purchased in quite a while, so some sort of reflected symmetry there.

From listening to a randomly selected range of your work on bandcamp and youtube, I've probably picked one of the easier-to-listen-to ones to buy. But I found a lot that I like and just as much that will need more time before I know what I think about it. Often in the same track. The first thing I stumbled across was 'evil is a human construction' which immediately sounded frantic and fantastic (my first, probably unoriginal, thought: music for Cylons). A couple of weeks and multiple plays later and it is still a favourite.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling.

Looking forward to hearing your future releases,

jessica
the cylons thing is interesting.

that track, 'evil is a human construction', was mostly composed in my head while i was stumbling through ottawa night clubs. i was going through a periodic dancing phase. something i've often found myself doing when i'm dancing is imagining guitar solos over the house or trance beats. i probably look like a crazy person, lost dwindling off into the twilight realm of my own secret thoughts, even blurting the notes out loud sometimes (memories  may be fuzzy, but i'd like to think i've avoided air guitars on the dance floor). i plan to create an entire record based more or less around that idea, so there will be more in the style coming, it's just that i have a list of stuff to get through first.

primatemaster
To try and explain that: There's a relentless and restless feeling throughout: at first oppressive, then panicky with associated disorientation, followed by acceptance/liberation/relief and wondering what comes next. (Yes, I wrote that during another listen.) Combine with a guitar sound that reminded me of music from BattlestarGalactica (Heeding Call going into a cover of All Along The Watchtower) and my mind said: music for freshly-self-discovered cylons.

In retrospect, cylons are not the important detail.

So, if 'interesting' is a polite way of saying 'nonsense', I can't argue. In my defense I was mildly concussed after a bike crash. Still like the track.

Dance / reaction from nearby people
Air guitar / 'She's on the good stuff, I want that'
Air drums / 'whatever she's on should be banned'

Listening to 'interplanetary isomorphism' a lot now. It's beautiful.