Tuesday, November 30, 2021

a part of the reason i'm doing this is to rebuild my book collection, which i either sold or lent out or left somewhere over the years. some of it got left in my dad's shed and flooded. the idiots. i'm likewise going to be looking for old cds of stuff that i mostly only had on tape.

yes, i had lots of asimov and, yes, i want it back on my shelf. my asimov was entirely left at my mom's before i moved out in 1993 and i have not had it on any shelf since, which is a shame, given it's importance. my stepmother wouldn't let it (or my large king collection) in the house under claims that it smelled like smoke, but the fact that she tried to replace it with ayn rand and dean koontz (authors of definite lesser prestige and distinctly different ideological persuasion - something i didn't understand at the time), suggests an ulterior motive. out with the asimov and in with the rand? you're damned right i'm doing a marxist analysis of asimov. 

the only thing i really still had was the martian way, which i picked up at a garage sale or something, years later. it's a 1975 copy. they weren't actually given to me by my grandmother (although my clarke and verne was), but were mostly bought at drug stores with allowance change, which was the same as the king. although i also remember buying some at garage sales with my dad, too.

everything else - the complete robot, the four robot novels, the three empire novels, the seven foundation novels and the three that are coming - are mass marketed paperbacks of recent manufacture. unfortunately. but, i couldn't find anything in the local used stores...

i'll take another run soon, especially in search of the stuff i couldn't find for cheap. but, if i can get a new book for something in the $10 range, and free shipping, i'll usually take it.